HELP for PARENTS Mastering Their Skills!!
You are the expert of yourself and family yet there are times in life it’s worth seeking professional support. Let’s face it, being a parent is the bravest commitment one can make. You give your heart and soul to your children and they light up your world. As a therapist in Asheville, NC I am so fortunate to support parents in their journey of raising children. It does not make you a failure if you find yourself calling a family counselor to help you find new approaches to parenting. Children can display some pretty challenging behaviors at times, and it sure is nice to talk to a professional about what you are noticing.
I provide non-judgmental parenting skills training/counseling. You may ask…hmmm…. Vanessa, what does this actually mean? Well allow me to share:
What To Expect In “Parenting Skills Counseling” Sessions:
- I give you the safe place to report all your concerns about your child and parenting style with no judgement on how you have decided to raise your children. Essentially, you lay all the ground work out in front of me so I can understand your skills, approach, and lifestyle.
- We then take what you are using and TOGETHER we evaluate if this is working or is there a way that your parenting skills could be approached in a different manner.
- With your permission, I give you very specific interventions to try at home on your own. Then you come back and report how it worked.
- I provide you the interventions in writing so you can take them home and refer back to them as needed.
- I always invite you to call me if you feel stuck with a parenting skill and would like to talk through it.
- Lastly, I am more than happy to come to your home in the heat of the storms to observe and support as you make small changes to your parenting style.
Who Typically Comes To “Parenting Skills Counseling”:
- First off parents don’t have to be in crisis to gain additional knowledge on how to parent effectively. Anyone can come to me to discuss their current child raising style as well as to learn new ways of parenting.
- Parents who feel “Stuck” with the way their child is behaving and they would like to assess if it is a parenting skills issues, childhood mental health problem, or both.
- Parents who are divorced may benefit from attending counseling together to discuss how they can best parent their child in 2 different homes. There are many strategies and dynamics that can make parenting in 2 homes challenging, but it can be done successfully with the right mindset and interventions.
- New parents looking for a neutral perspective and ideas on how to parent their children.
- Lastly, any parent just wanting to transform and change the way they are conducting life at home with their children.
One of my passions is to help families strengthen and grow closer in a healthy, autonomous way. It excites me to be in a community like Asheville where folks are open to learning new ways of sharing life with others. I am here to support you as you raise your children! Please contact me for a free consultation.